Internship Programme at HBS
Heinrich Böll Stiftung provides a limited number of internship/trainee opportunities in a year to students and recent graduates with a designated interest and inclination for Green values and projects. Participants will gain practical experience and a sound understanding of the work of a German foundation. Located in Phnom Penh, our office acts as a liaisoning arm of our main office in Germany.
Being part of our team, if selected as an intern/trainee with us, you will be able to explore and learn from a diverse and multi-cultural set of projects, implemented through our Cambodian co-operation partners. You will also be able to enrich and test your academic knowledge within the professional context of our work and gain insights into programme planning and administration. Please take note that due to our liaison office status, field activities and project implementation are usually NOT part of our Phnom Penh office. Sometimes, however there are possibilities of engagement and exposure to the work of our field cooperation partners.
We expect every applicant to thoroughly review our working areas via our website and clearly state their related interests in the application letter.
- Your field of study should fits ideally to our main areas of work in Cambdodia
- Our working language in the office is English. You should be able to speak it on a conversation level. German and/or Khmer skills are a plus
- You should already be advanced in your studies (at least 2nd semester of undergradute studies)
- You have good knowledge of common office applications and work with computers
- Applicants are not expected to be highly skilled or specialized but sincere, motivated and interested in a professional internship with due commitments to complete the work entrusted on them
Your responsibilities will include:
- involvement in various aspects of our project planning and implementation work,
- participation in meetings relating to program development and strategizing as per our implementation cycles, including support for developing of new project proposals, preparation of briefings and reports,
- providing of logistical/ administrative support during activities and/ or support to background research on thematic issues in preparation of projects and events
- providing input and support to our communications and outreach section, i.e. for developing of social media content or in regard to communication management
- all interns/ trainees are given the opportunity to conceptualize and carry out a capstone project on a theme of their choice that should combine their background interests with one of our working areas. The project output can take various formats in writing, audio/video content, podcast, interview etc.
We currently do not accept any new application for internship. Please watch out for future announcements.
Last update: 07.02.2023
How to Apply (Internship guideline)
Please email PDF versions of your brief resume and a letter of motivation mentioning availability, field of interest from within the current programmes of the foundation. Any specific request and expectation/s should be communicated in the cover letter
All communication is to be submitted in English language, and no less than 6 months before the planned date for the internship/traineeship.
Emails are to be addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered!
Applications are accepted all year round and sought from candidates of diverse backgrounds, especially with a demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion as our core priorities of the Heinrich Böll Foundation.
Selected applicants will be contacted by us and will have the chance to clarify further questions in an (online) meeting to be held before a final selection will take place.
Note: Due to high number of applications, only selected candidates will be contacted
Logistics/ administrative requirement
- Internships with us are compensated with an expense allowance based on local standard.
- Applicants are responsible to make their own arrangements for accommodation in Phnom Penh as well as travel arrangements to/from Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- International applicants are responsible for their necessary insurance coverage (health, etc.) and visa arrangements
National Geographic Society Announces Winners of Competition to Combat Illegal Fishing
Please click on the following link to visit the new homepage of hbs Myanmar Office
Welcome to the hbs Cambodia Website
The Heinrich Böll Foundation – Cambodia Country Office
The Heinrich Böll Foundation (also known as Heinrich Böll Stiftung) is part of the Green political movement that has developed worldwide as a response to the traditional politics of socialism, liberalism, and conservatism. Our namesake, the writer and Nobel Prize laureate Heinrich Böll, personified the values we stand for: freedom, civic courage, tolerance, open debate and the appreciation of art and culture as independent spheres of thought and action.
The headquarter of the Heinrich Böll Foundation is located in Berlin, Germany. Our international program is implemented through 32 offices worldwide, seven of them in Asia.
Working closely with civil society groups since 1993, the Heinrich Böll Foundation was the first German political foundation to establish cooperation with partners in Cambodia. Building on past achievements, our current program focuses on two key areas for sustainable development of Cambodia: Resource Governance and Gender Democracy.